Today is the birthday of the second Sikh Guru, Guru Angad Dev Ji, Guru Angad Dev Ji was born on 31 March 1504 and the Sikh community will celebrate his 517 birth anniversary today. Guru Angad Dev Ji was born in Harike village in Punjab. He was born in a Hindu family to Pheru Mal and Mata Ramo.
However, many people do not know how he was chosen as the successor of Guru Nanak Dev? Guru Nanak Dev Ji, the founder of Sikhism, chose Guru Angad Dev Ji as the successor of his sons. There is a famous story of how he was chosen as the successor, an eagle fell into the mud and Guru Nanak Dev ji asked his sons to raise it, but his sons refused to do it because they felt that This is not a good job. Then, Guru Nanak Dev Ji asked Guru Angad Dev Ji to take it and he raised it without hesitation. This influenced Guru Nanak ji and named him as the second successor on 7 September 1539.
Some unknown facts about Guru Angad Dev ji on his date of birth are as follows:
1. Guru Angad Dev ji’s birth name was Lehna. Guru Nanak Dev Ji named Angad himself. The name Angad means part of the body.
2. Guru Angad Dev ji married Mata Kiwi on 15 January at the age of 15.
3. Guru Angad Dev Ji wrote about 62 to 63 verses and also improved it in Gurmukhi script.
4. Guru Angad Dev Ji introduced the langar system and also established other centers for the practice of Sikhism.
5. Guru Amar Das Ji became the third successor of Sikhism, after Guru Angad Dev Ji. Guru Amar Das visited more than 20 pilgrimage places including Haridwar and Amritsar.